Artificial insemination is a low-complexity assisted reproduction procedure that consists of placing the prepared semen sample in the uterus.
The treatment can be carried out with the woman's natural cycle or to increase her chances of pregnancy, it is carried out in a cycle of controlled ovarian stimulation with a maximum growth of 2 or 3 follicles. For insemination, a cannula containing the capacitated semen sample is inserted into the woman's cervix. This process is painless and only requires a rest of approximately 30 minutes.
Prior to treatment, we assess the female reproductive system through transvaginal ultrasound and confirm the patency of the tubes through hysterosalpingography, before starting artificial insemination.
Age is a factor that must be taken into account, since women over 37 years of age are less likely to fertilize than those who are younger.
- In the case of men, the quality of the semen is very important and the sample must be previously prepared. An analysis is carried out to determine your motile sperm count (REM), which number has to exceed 5 million.
- Ovarian Reserve
- uterus, ovaries
- Quantity, quality and mobility of semen
- Fallopian tubes (hysterosalpingography)
- If all of the above is fine, after laboratory tests, a menstrual period is started.
Artificial insemination (AI) can be homologous when the sperm come from a trained sample of the husband or heterologous in which he resorts to our sperm bank to perform insemination with donor sperm or IAD.
If pregnancy is not achieved after three cycles, it is advisable to proceed to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF).
Artificial Insemination (AI) When is it recommended?
- male factor: This treatment is ideal for those cases where the motile sperm count is less than 5 million. Also in cases where there is an inability to deposit semen inside the vagina such as premature ejaculation, vaginismus, psychogenic impotence, hypospadias or retrograde ejaculation.
- female factor: Dysfunctions such as, for example, anatomical alterations of the uterus, cervical insufficiency, endometritis or polycystic ovary syndrome, a IA. Even in cases of mild endometriosis, it is advisable to start with AI cycles. Infertility of unknown origin is included within the indications for this treatment.
How is artificial insemination performed?
Get more information
Call us today at 4001-9993
ABOUT AZUL FERTILITY EXPERTS
meet the doctors
We are a team made up of professionals with years of experience and hundreds of success stories ready to accompany you in your procedure.
To schedule your appointment with our Azul Fertility Experts medical team, contact